Summer is here, and the rising temperature may be making you anxious about the comfort of your German Shepherd (GSD).
Unlike single-coated dogs, GSDs have special grooming needs that must be kept in mind to protect their beautiful double coat.
Here are 8 quick tips on how to keep your dog cool and comfortable throughout the hot summer months this year:
• Brush your GSD daily. It will help to keep shedding under control. German Shepherds “blow” their coats during Spring, and shedding can carry into the summer months.
• Don’t try to beat the heat by bathing your dog too often, because GSDs have natural oils that preserve their coat and keep their skin in good health.
• Be careful when cutting nails. GSDs have dark nails, and it is safer to err on the side of caution to avoid any chances of cutting them to the quick.
• Clean your GSDs ears regularly during summer to avoid buildup of wax and debris.
• Earmite is another thing to watch out for. Mites are contagious and if your GSD has an active social life with other dogs during summer, make sure he/she is not picking up a mite infection from playmates in the park.
• Hot pavements are not kind to your dog’s paws, so check them often for cuts and bruises.
• Keep your dog cool with plenty of water and natural, hydrating treats like watermelon, apple, celery and cucumber.
• Keep your pet indoors during the hottest hours of the day.